Life Skills Instructor
There’s certainly a ripple effect to the work that we do here at Vista Life Innovations. Following our mission statement of providing programs and services to assist individuals with disabilities to achieve personal success, our staff come together to create a meaningful impact in the lives of our students and members. We invite you to join the Vista team!
The “Engage” team is hiring for Life Skills Instructors on a rolling basis. Please visit our website at www.vistalifeinnovations.org (Careers Page) for a current listing of our full-time, part-time, per diem or temporary positions.
Life Skills Instructors visit our members in their home to teach household upkeep and organization, food and money management, shopping skills, navigating public transportation, and building peer and community relationships. They truly enjoy learning from our instructors how to live independently. Our members must provide their own personal self-care.
Responsibilities for a Life Skills Instructor include, but are not limited to:
- Attending monthly team meetings and proactively communicating the strengths and areas that need improvement for each individual assigned
- Working with the team and Program Counselor to develop written goals and evaluate the individual’s level of functioning in life skills and social/cognitive areas
- Following/implementing strategies to help the individual gain independence
- Completing all necessary documentation utilizing the computer and applicable systems
- Being an excellent role model for individuals so they can learn the necessary social skills in any given environment
- Developing rapport with individuals so they feel comfortable in their learning environment, as well as developing relationships with families
- Associates Degree OR High School Diploma plus one (1) year of related experience
We are an EOE, Affirmative Action, and drug-free workplace.
- Valid driver’s license – You’ll be traveling from member home to member home
- Acceptable safe driving record as defined by Vista
- Current auto insurance on personal vehicle(s) that may be used for work
- CPR and First Aid or the ability to obtain certifications within 90 days of hire - Vista will cover the cost of the certifications
- Pass pre-employment drug screen
- Management’s favorable opinion as a result of references and investigative background inquiries
- Ability to transport students and members in a personal vehicle – As a Life Skills Instructor, you’ll be bringing the member into the community to teach skills like shopping and money and appointment management.
- Demonstrated ability to use computer and other electronic devices as deemed necessary for job function
- Move, lift and carry weights up to 15lbs on an occasional basis